View Configuring and Using the Notes Feature
Configuring and Using the Notes Feature
The notes feature of the HWeb application suite is a powerful and useful documentation tool. It can be used to track information about drivers, vehicles, reservations, trips, profiles, employees, and more. Additionally, you can create a single note about, for example a particular trip, but can then link or copy that note to the driver, client, vehicle profiles as well. Read on about how to configure and use the Notes section of HWeb applications.
There are 3 steps outlined below:
- User Access Priveleges
- Use of Notes
Step 1: ConfigurationOpen any HWeb product and click Tools - Configuration - Advanced Features. Go to the NOTES tab. This is where you determine what Notes types or categories you may use. At the time of this documentation, there are 15 possible note Types, all of which are user configurable. The standard or default note types loaded with your software are:
- Gemeral Information
- Dispatch Note
Note Type: Numbered 1-15, this field is for internal use and may not be edited.
Caption: You may modify the above notes descriptions by clicking on the appropriate name in the Caption column and editing the text directly.
Alt. Caption: The Alt Caption is usually a shortened or abbreviated version of the full note type which has been entered in the Caption column.
Enabled?: Placing a check mark in this column will turn on a note type. If you remove the check mark, this note type will not be displayed to users.
FG Color: This is the Foreground Color or Font Color for notes of this type when they are displayed in a list of notes. Changing Foreground color may be useful in quickly identifying notes of a particluar type, when viewing a lengthy list of notes. Ex; changing the FG Color to Red for Accident Notes. The default Foregrount (font) color is Black. To change the font color, click the white square in the FG color column next to the note type to be modified. Click the 3-dot button that appears. Select the new font color and then click OK.
BG Color: This is the Background Color for the notes field. As with the Foreground Color above, this may be used to help identify notes of a particular type. By combining FG and BG Colors, many different combinations may be created.The default Background color is white. To change the color, click the white square in the BG color column
next to the note type to be modified. Click the 3-dot button that
appears. Select the new background color and then click OK. Using colors that are contrasting (black on white, Blue on Yellow, etc) will make notes easier to read. These color changes do not modify the body of the note, only the subject that appears in a list of notes.
Default new note type: Only one note type should be checked in this column of all the note types that you have enabled. This is the first or most commonly used note type, the default.
Default Save Format: For each note type that you have enabled, you may select a single save format. Depending on how your notes will be used, printed or displayed may determine the default save format.
- rtf: - Rich Text Format: a standard formalized by Microsoft Corporation for specifying the formatting of documents. RTF files are actually ASCII files with special commands to indicate formatting information such as fonts and margins.
- html: - Hyper Text Markup Language: the authoring language used to create documents on the world wide web. HTML defines the structure and layout of a Web document by using a variety of tags and attributes. There are hundreds of tags used to format and layout the information in a Web page.
- txt: - Text: Typically, the term text refers to text stored as ASCII codes (that is, without any formatting).
Step 2: User Access PrivelegeBefore a user can use the Notes feature, they must have the appropriate user privelege enabled. This is accomplished by having your local system administrator go to Tools - Configuration - User Access. After selecting the appropriate User ID, you select the Priveleges button and then scroll to the bottom of the list. This is where Notes priveleges are enabled or disabled. For each Note type that you have enabled in Step 1 (above), you will have the ability to allow a user to:
- View a note type
- Add a new note of that type
- Edit a note of that type
Step 3: Using the Notes FeatureNB: A reservation must be saved before a note may be added to it. As of the time of writing (June 05) notes may only be added via the HWeb Agent. The ability to add notes via the HWeb Dispatcher is currently in development.
From HWeb Agent
- Open an existing reservation
- Locate and Click the Notes Tab
- Select the Note type to be created from the drop down menu
- Click the White Paper (blank) icon to the right to open a new note of the selected type.
- Enter BRIEF nature of note in the Subject Field
- In the large lower text window, enter the text that comprises the body of your note. When finished, you may click the Spell Check button to do a quick scan of the document before saving.
- To link (connect/copy) this note to another item, click the small "<" symbol next to the Spell Check button. From here you may select where else you would like a link to this note placed. Linking Options Include:
- Individual Profile
- Group Profile
- Sales Profile
- Sales Commission
Notes may be viewed, and even managed in a Dispatcher grids, however notes may not be directly added from within the Dispatcher application.
Click FILE - NEW - NOTES VIEW
A Grid with Notes will be displayed. You may customize this grid or create a new grid by going into Grid Properties and/or Grid Layout and making the desired changes.