View Importing Reservations to HWeb in CSV Format
Importing Reservations to HWeb in CSV Format
Many Hudson clients have corporate accounts that compile transportation reservations internally and then forward a list of reservation data to the ground transportation company via fax or email (common if a company has an in-house travel agency or department). These reservations would then be manually re-entered into the Hudson system by reservation agents or dispatchers. The process of reentering reservation data is time-consuming and cumbersome and introduces the opportunity for errors in reservation details, including dates, times, and locations.
A process now exists for the direct import of client reservation data into the Hudson reservation system through the HWeb Dispatcher Application. A client data file which is in CSV format may be directly imported into the Reservation database via a custom dispatcher grid. The data may be viewed and manipulated within that grid prior to final saving. This process of CSV file import allows direct copy of client-entered data (reducing opportunity for error) and is completed in a matter of seconds as compared to the manual data re-entry process which could take several man-hours depending on the size of the data file that is being copied.
(Note: This feature requires HWeb software version 1.87a or above)
Steps for Importing Reservations via CSV:
- Create a Dispatcher Hotkey (Function: Import CSV)
- Create a new Reservations grid (or download ResImport.gdf)
- Set available values using Grid Layout (if creating reservation grid)
- Create Standard Template (set defaults of imported reservation)
- Set default field values for imported file
- Import CSV file
1a. Create a Dispatcher Hotkey
- Open HWeb Dispatcher
- Go to Tools - Configuration - HotKeys_Fast Info
- Click File - Add New HotKey
- Leave System Profile Field to <Any>
- Set Record Type to: Dispatcher Hot Keys
- Set Function to: Import CSV file
- Set Shift_Control Type and Function Keys to desired key combination, while avoiding duplication of other hotkeys already selected.
- In Description Field, type: Import CSV File
- Optional: If you know the name and location to the csv file that you will be importing, and it will always have the same name, you can set an additional value in the Parameter field: FILENAME=\\ServerName\Path_and_Directory\filename.csv. e.g. FILENAME=\\fs01\hudson\ResImport\BritishAirways\BritAir.csv NOTE: The csv filename is case sensitive!!
- Additional Parameters: These advanced parameters may also be used to control the CSV import process. Consult with Hudson Tech Support for assistance with these:
- Click UPDATE and Save Changes to DB, close the HotKey_FastInfo Maintenance Window.
- Refresh the configuration by pressing F11 key
2a. Download ResImport.gdf from Sample Grid links at the end of this article
2b. Create a New Reservations View Grid.
- From with HWeb Dispatcher, Click File - New - Reservations View
- Right-click on any column heading on the Reservations View grid
- Click on Grid Properties
- Select the Tab labeled Grid Specific
- Check: Allow add new record
- Check: Calculate fare and pickup time (if you want this to occur on csv import (recommended))
- To save this grid: Click File - Save As. In the Field name square: CSVImport (or other name you will remember).
3. Set Grid Layout (if creating a New Reservation View Grid)
- After step 2 above, right click any column heading and select Grid Layout
- Click the first line Col1 ID to highlight the line in yellow.
- Use the scroll bar to the right to scroll to the bottom of the list
- Depress and hold the SHIFT key down and then click the last Col and Field Name in the list. This should highlight, in yellow, all lines of the open window.
- Click Hide Selection button (will remove all check marks from the SHOW column)
- Scroll back to the top of the list and then place a check mark in the SHOW column, for those fields that will be imported via the CSV, or those fields that you wish to display and view during the import process. The suggested list of fields to include is:
- Flight City
- Save changes to the Grid and reopen
4. Creating Standard Template for Imported Reservation Defaults
- Open HWebAgent
- Create a normal reservation
- Set Pickup/Dropoff Location/Addresses
- Add Group/Charter profile(s)
- If requiring email and no email in CSV, add NONE to res
- If requiring madeby and no madeby in CSV, add IMPORT (or your initials)
- Change STATUS on Reservation Details tab to STD Template
5. Set default field values
- Determine layout of CSV to be imported (how are columns laid out, is name first?)
- Open resimport.gdf (or newly created grid)
- Select Grid Layout
- Scroll to the near end of the layout, select ‘Default value’, add variables into Grid Layout for all fields to be imported. If customer name is column A (field 1) put $01 in NAME of the grid. If fields from CSV are in different columns, but you need them in one, simply combine in Grid Layout. Example if time and date (columns B and C) are in different fields, in Grid Layout FLIGHTTOD put $02 $03
- Add your Std Template ID into the ‘Default value’ of STDTEMPLATE
- ***HINT: For each field selected, locate the column labeled Override Optimization, and place a check mark in this box. This resolves many import errors when trying to write custom values from a csv file to a standard template.
- Save Grid
6. Import CSV
- Open import Grid
- If using Hotkey press appropriate key, if using menu, select menu item
- Press Get File to Import (locate CSV) press Open
- Select the first record, then press IMPORT
- After a successful import the row color will change, a checkmark will appear in the Imported?, and a reservation number will be displayed in ResID
- Once finished Import the remaining reservations
Downloadable Sample Grids
Click the links below to download sample grids to aid in the import process. Create a folder in your Hudson -> HWeb -> Templates directory named “ResImports.” Copy these grids into that folder.