View Linking Graphics to Portals
Linking Graphics to Portals
*******THIS ARTICLE BEING REVISED******
Graphics to Portals
This page will provide step-by-step instruction on how to create a linked graphic that can be used as a button to access a web group portal. SeaMonkey will be used as the editing tool and no programming or HTML skills are required. Other html editors should work in a similar fashion.
SeaMonkey is available for free at: http://www.seamonkey-project.org
Instructions for Linking Graphics to Web Portals
- Print out these instructions.
Do not skip any steps.
- Open SeaMonkey and create three
tabs (CTRL T).
- TAB 1: Open the PORTAL BUTTONS
& STOCK GRAPHICS page (http://knowledgebase.hudsonltd.com/article.php?id=307).
- In TAB 1, select the graphic that
you want to use by right clicking on the graphic and selecting
SAVE IMAGE AS. Save the graphic to a file or to your desktop.
Remember where you put it.
- In TAB 2 - Click File - New - Composer Page.
- Select INSERT/IMAGE. The IMAGE
PROPERTIES window will appear. Click on CHOOSE FILE and locate
the graphic that you saved in Step 4. Then, in the field labeled
ALTERNATE TEXT type the following: Airport Transfers Online.
Click OK at the bottom of the IMAGE PROPERTIES window.
- In TAB 3, open your Mozilla web
browser to the welcome page for the portal which you are creating
the linked graphic for. Use the complete address (use the Portal
Link Key - http://knowledgebase.hudsonltd.com/article.php?id=314
- if needed) by entering the URL in the address line at the
top of the browser page. Press ENTER on your keyboard after
you have entered the complete portal URL. If the portal opens
when you hit enter, you have entered the portal URL correctly.
If not, check your entry against the PORTAL LINK KEY. Common
errors include adding spaces and simple typos.
- Once the portal welcome page opens,
right click on the address line (up near the top of the page).
The entire line should highlight and a drop menu will allow
you select COPY.
- Reopen TAB 2 - MOZILLA COMPOSER.
Right click on your graphic and select CREATE LINK from the
drop menu. The IMAGE PROPERTIES window will appear and the link
tab should be automatically selected. Right click in the field
provided and select paste. This will insert the portal URL that
you copied in STEP 8. Save
the COMPOSER file in TAB 2.
- In TAB 2 - COMPOSER select FILE/BROWSE PAGE. A new Mozilla browser window will open. The page will be blank except for your new linked graphic. Test the graphic by clicking on it. It should take you to the portal welcome page. Clicking the browser back button will then return you to the "browser view" of your graphic. Copy the graphic from this page (not the COMPOSER) to paste in the body copy of an email to your client.